Jobs at The British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC)
About the BBC
Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here
Senior Journalist Social Media Lead Job Vacancy - Dar Es Salaam
BBC World Service is an international multimedia broadcaster, part of BBC News, delivering a wide range of language and regional services and working increasingly with other parts of BBC News to serve global audiences. We’re looking for people who are full of ideas and have a real passion for news. We want people who have enthusiasm for all things digital and storytelling. We are now looking for a Senior Journalist in charge of Social Media platforms to be based in Dar es Salaam , Tanzania, to join our Swahili Service team on a continuous contract.
- The Senior Journalist, in charge of Social Media platforms will be editorially in charge of managing Swahili social media sites, with the support of the Line Manager.
- Will have a high standard of editorial judgment, writing ability and digital and Social Media productions skills based on substantial broadcast journalism experience.
- Will have experience working with Social media, analytical tools and other digital tools.
- Will be responsible for a team of digital journalists working for the service
- Responsible for originating and producing stories which may include scripting, editing, outputting, filming and presenting content across a range of BBC output.
- Will commission and select relevant materials ensuring they meet expectations of our audiences and adhere to the BBC’s editorial guidelines.
Are you the right candidate?
- The ideal candidate will have experience working across various Social Media platforms and online.
- Experience as a Digital Journalistic and especially on social media platforms is essential
- Experience of digital newsgathering and original journalism is desirable with good understanding of regional stories.
- The successful candidate will have a full command of Swahili (written and spoken) and broadcast-standard English
- Experience in working with social media and other digital tools.
- You will have a knowledge of and aptitude for using multimedia technology and be able to demonstrate balanced and impartial judgement.
- As a Senior Journalist in charge of Social you will be able to demonstrable interest in new media which will include knowledge of how to maximise a story for digital, reporting experience and proven skills in generating original newsgathering.
Contract: Permanent role - Full time. Local terms and conditions apply.
Location: Dar es Salaam , Tanzania
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in **Tanzania**